AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: install overdrive switch  (Read 214 times)

Dkalel

• AMGBA Club Member
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 20-16342
  • MG information: '77 red B
install overdrive switch
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
I am adding an overdrive to my 77 MGB and I was wondering about the gear shifter and how to put the overdrive switch onto the old gear knob. I saw online that they have a cap with the switch you can put on top of the shift knob. Can you switch the old top of the knob with the one with the overdrive switch? I don't have my car at home as it in the shop being worked on or I would be able to figure this out on my own or take a picture to show what kind of knob I have. Has anybody else done this? Any advice will help if you can considering I don't have the knob or pictures. The knob I have has MG on the top and the knob is leather or vinyl and I don't see any way to replace the top from what I can remember what it looks like.  I believe I will have to get a whole new knob for my car or buy an used gear lever with the overdrive switch. Any ideas?

june2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
Re: install overdrive switch
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 11:18:47 PM »
My old B had a toggle switch on the steering column to control the OD
I kinda liked it that way
Tom raddatz

june2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 11:20:21 PM »
Doesn’t the windscreen wiper lever also have a OD switch?
John Hennessy

june2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
In order to put the overdrive switch on the shifter, you would need the original shift knob, with the top for the switch. They are getting hard to find. If you wanted to put the overdrive on the wiper stalk as was done prior to '77, it will require some rewiring and modifications of the steering column.

George Van Horn

june2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 11:29:51 PM »
If you go with the OD shift knob you also need the OD shift lever. It has a groove for the wiring to the switch.
Steve Phillips

june2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 11:30:45 PM »
The switch already a part of the wiper control is the simplest way to go. Can even get a factory type wiring harness for it.
Robert-Amy Gehweiler

Dkalel

• AMGBA Club Member
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 20-16342
  • MG information: '77 red B
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 06:06:46 PM »
 Thanks for all your help. I was able to get a look at my gear lever and I will have to buy a whole different gear lever. I was able to find a gear lever with the overdrive switch installed on top and I think that is the way I will have to go. I need to get with my mechanic and ask him if that is the best idea. As far as the switch on the steering column, I think that was older model B's. I have a 77 and I believe the only way to get it to work is the gear lever with the switch. But like I said, I need to ask my mechanic.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog