AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Valve Noise  (Read 125 times)

september2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Valve Noise
« on: August 06, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »
I have a '67 B. I know the engine valves can be a little noisy. These are normal quirks of the car but they now seem a little louder that usual. The car sat for about a year and a half before I acquired it (garage kept). Since April, I have put about 1200 miles on it. And with some of the hot days, it has been at the upper end of running temps. Would it be a good idea to go back and check the clearances and or do an oil change (thinking early oil breakdown as well since it sat)?
Vinnie Brown

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Valve Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 01:37:08 PM »
The '79 and '80 are nearly 100% parts exchangeable. Some minor wiring harness differences only.

Michael Caputo
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Valve Noise
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 08:46:06 AM »
Hi Vinnie,

You are definitely on the right track.  Readjusting the clearances and changing the oil and filter are SOP and should help with the noise. 

As you note, some valve train noise is normal as this is a mechanical lifter system.

Also, check your timing and idle speed as well.  Might help with the high running temp.

If it continues to run hot, you might need to check other things, like the water pump and radiator.

Note that there are volumes dedicated to controlling the temperature these cars run at.  After blowing a head gasket, I also replaced my water pump, replaced the radiator with a larger aluminum unit and added a 13" electric fan.  Runs fine now.   

Hope that helps you.

Safety Fast!

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog