American MGB Association Message Board

Technical Area => Questions and Answers => Topic started by: june2014 on July 12, 2014, 12:11:31 AM

Title: Oil Filter Cap
Post by: june2014 on July 12, 2014, 12:11:31 AM
I need your help again. On a recent run I lost my oil filler cap and of course I need to replace it.  I contacted Moss Motors because I could not find it in their catalog. They told me they don't carry that type of cap.

I have a 1966 model year MGB roadster, don't know the engine number because a previous owner took the ID tag off the block. The cap was chrome, the opening to the valve cover is 2 '' inside diameter and OSD is 2 1/2 '', I am attaching two pictures of the valve cover.

I am hoping you can tell me where I can get a replacement cap otherwise I will have to buy a whole new valve cover OUCH !.

Anything you could do would be helpful. Thank you.

Jeff Sikora
Orland Hills, Illinois
Title: Re: Oil Filter Cap
Post by: Art on July 12, 2014, 12:13:17 AM
Let's start off with the fact that you do not have a stock valve cover, but an atermarket finned aluminum one.

There are (2) different caps ffrom Victoria British - the first is VB part no. 17-697, which only fits the cover without a crankcase breather tube ($9.95), which appears to be what you have. The other is VB part no. 17-696 which is for the other covers with a breather tube ($29.95).

Now, is either for the cover that you have? You might also try eBay, but the same issue arises as these covers are aftermarket and, though the sources are limited, they could be very different.  

It might just be easier to get a new valve cover with cap. Used on ebay, it might be cheaper than the more expensive cap from VB.

Not sure why the big difference in price, but you can find both along with the different covers on page 56 of the current VB catalog or on-line at I hope that helps. Let me know how you make out.

Safety Fast!
Art Isaacs