American MGB Association Message Board

Technical Area => Restoration Discussion => Topic started by: 2022 on May 07, 2022, 11:41:51 AM

Title: Frame Bent
Post by: 2022 on May 07, 2022, 11:41:51 AM
I have a '72 B-GT that I have mechanically restored over the last few years.  All systems gone through, engine rebuilt, suspension completely redone.  Car runs and drives great. 

Unfortunately during the mechanical restoration process I discovered the car had been in at least one, maybe two crashes.  The rear was hit and the panel was pulled back.  This does not concern me, parts are available.  My concern is with the front.

The front has the chassis rails bent toward the driver side 1.5" (discovered during alignment)  with visible deformation around the top and sides where the crossmember mounts.  Based on knowing the car was a 1 owner and the rest of the tin work that would have needed to be replaced was done well, I expect this was done by a body shop in the late 70's early 80's.  (Car was repainted at that time, same color).

Question:  I am debating the 3 paths for the project.  Either blow the car apart and begin righting all the wrongs, (have the tools), find a solid shell and move over everything or fix the visible rust around the bottom of the front and rear fender and leave the rest alone.  Given this info, what are your thoughts? 

I am a bit concerned about the feasibility of locating another shell.  I'm hopeful that this is me looking in the wrong place but who knows.

Any info you have and are willing to share is greatly appreciated.

Bill Wheat

1978 B – Green
1972 B GT – Yellow
Title: Re: Frame Bent
Post by: JohnTwist on May 07, 2022, 12:18:38 PM
It is so frustrating to discover such damage after doing so much other work. There are certainly MGB-GT bodies available in the western states that are straight, rust free, and probably relatively inexpensive. Of course finding one and transporting it home is the issue. Contact Paul Dierschow at Sportscar Craftsman in Arvada, Colorado to see what he has available. His number is: 303-422 9272. You may be able to find a body shop which will pull your frame straight but my experience is that most shops shy away from these older vehicles. Stripping the car down to pull the frame yourself seems an almost impossible task to me. When the front end is out of alignment as it is on yours, the car crabs when running down street. I guess you have to ask yourself what sort of driving you expect to do as whichever path you take will be arduous, time consuming, and expensive.

If you wish to speak about the project simply give me a call during tech time.

John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids MI 49506-2410
Cell  616 307 6737