AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: 1979 MGB starts really hard when cold  (Read 3223 times)

december2014

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
1979 MGB starts really hard when cold
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:35:35 PM »
Car has manual choke and sputters on like on cylinder when cold.  If I can get it started it runs great once it warms up a little. Any recommendations on what the problem could be.

Crosby211

• AMGBA Club Member
Re: 1979 MGB starts really hard when cold
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
Car sputters like it is just running on one cylinder and then stops.  Once I get it started it runs fine. Choke is working could it be the coil, spark plugs, weak battery or what..

Car has manual choke and sputters on like on cylinder when cold.  If I can get it started it runs great once it warms up a little. Any recommendations on what the problem could be.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: 1979 MGB starts really hard when cold
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »
Let's start with some history:

When was the last time you did a tune-up?  Changed the plugs, cap and rotor?  Fuel filter?

Do you have the OEM Lucas "OPUS" electronic ignition and distributor or the 1980 CEI unit?  If not, what have you got?

Do you smell gasoline while trying to start the car?

Have you checked the plugs for fouling or if they are wet with fuel when the car doesn't start?  Or are they dry and burned?

Is the manual choke OEM or a conversion?  The Zenith-Stromberg came both ways.

With this information, we should be able to better suggest some avenues to remedy your problem.

Safety Fast!

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog