AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Abingdon Pillow Dashboard  (Read 2317 times)

december2015

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Abingdon Pillow Dashboard
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:57 PM »
Would anyone know whether a template of the "Abingdon Pillow" has ever been made? I have this rather wild idea that I would like to replace the padded dash in my '71 B with a home-built wooden unit.

David Okon

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Abingdon Pillow Dashboard
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »
Several years ago I replaced my "Weather Split" pillow with an original used unit out of a GT (less sun & no split). Found on E-Bay. While doing my search I saw one where the owner removed all vinyl and foam from the steel base. He then painted it with a very nice hammer tone silver/gray. It looked very nice in the picture. I think that it might be possible to do the same and laminate a thin wood veneer to the steel. The gauges and switches would also help to hold it together. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think that pre-pillow models had a plain steel painted (or vinyl laminated) dash that also was very nice with a simple uncluttered look.

There is also someone in the UK that sells direct replacement from pillow to metal at http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/andyjennings/.

Good Luck.
Ron Stuckey
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog