AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Abingdon Pillow Dashboard  (Read 4627 times)

december2015

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Abingdon Pillow Dashboard
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:57 PM »
Would anyone know whether a template of the "Abingdon Pillow" has ever been made? I have this rather wild idea that I would like to replace the padded dash in my '71 B with a home-built wooden unit.

David Okon

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Abingdon Pillow Dashboard
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »
Several years ago I replaced my "Weather Split" pillow with an original used unit out of a GT (less sun & no split). Found on E-Bay. While doing my search I saw one where the owner removed all vinyl and foam from the steel base. He then painted it with a very nice hammer tone silver/gray. It looked very nice in the picture. I think that it might be possible to do the same and laminate a thin wood veneer to the steel. The gauges and switches would also help to hold it together. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think that pre-pillow models had a plain steel painted (or vinyl laminated) dash that also was very nice with a simple uncluttered look.

There is also someone in the UK that sells direct replacement from pillow to metal at http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/andyjennings/.

Good Luck.
Ron Stuckey
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Abingdon Pillow Dashboard
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:00:14 AM »
Hi Ron,

Yes, the replacement unit on the link you attached is the pre-68 (NA spec)steel dash.  These continued in production in Europe for much longer than the US, which changed to the pillow with the 68 model.

Regardless of exterior color, they were all painted wrinkle-finish black.  Many later stripped and painted them to match the body color and the bezel around the gauges was polished.  It's a really good, classic look.

Keep in mind, that in stripping the "pillow" of the vinyl and padding to create a metal or wood veneer dash, you should still plan to either leave or replace to top padded 'crash rail' for safety reasons.  Even the older metal dash had a padded rail at it's top.

Safety Fast!

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog