AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Sitting car  (Read 8199 times)

MGB Mountaineer

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
Sitting car
« on: September 20, 2006, 03:30:02 PM »
 I am thinking of buying a fully restored 1971 MGB from a car collector. He never wanted the car that was given to him and based on my research on this site and others, he's offering me a pretty good deal. My concern is the car (which has been in a enviromentally controlled garage with his other cars) has only been driven twice in 10 years and not in the last 4. He tells me he can start it up and I can drive it home some 100 miles away. This sounds like a mistake to me. What should I specifically be on the lookout for with this car sitting this long?

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Sitting car
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:17:03 AM »
If a car is sitting that long unused, the major concerns are, of course fluids and hoses.  Frankly, all rubber, including tires and flexible brake and clutch lines, become suspect after sitting this long, even in an environmentally (I'm assuming temperature and humidity) controlled storage. 

If you were to attempt this, I would inspect every hoses and belt, possibly replacing them as a precaution, replace all fluids with the possible exception of the braking system, if the fluid in the resevoir is clear and the flexible look reasonably good and free from leaks or oil.  Check the tires for cracking and flat spots from sitting.  Cracks could be an indication of dry rot and pose the specter of potential failure at speed. Perform a full tune-up (plugs, points, condesor, cap, rotor, air, oil and fuel fiters).  Inspect the plug and coil wires and replace if necessary.  Inspect and adjust the brakes, including the parking brake.  Check electricals - fuel pump (remember this will stop clicking once pressure has built-up and will only click intermittently once the engine is running and idling), all lamps and wipers for operation.  Radio, fan, electrical instruments (other than the tach which is wired into the ignition circuit; the oil pressure gauge and speedometer are mechanical) if not working are not critical to getting home.  It's a lot of work to do or pay for at a remote location.  The shop may be willing to do some of this as a courtesy, especially if they are giving any kind of warranty or have to ensure the car roadworthy at time of sale.  Even if they retrieve and ultimately repair it, this won't make it more pleasant if the car breaks down during the trip home.

While it is a lot more exciting and enjoyable to drive what is relatively short distance, the thought of taking an untried, unknown car directly out of storage onto the roads at speed could be dangerous and do damage to the car, if nothing else.  I would better recommend you arrange transport on a flatbed home and then sort the car out at your leisure.  Worth looking into is signing up for AAA Plus coverage.  The Plus or Gold Plus plans allow for free towing up to 120 miles to a location of your choice (basic coverage only allows for towing to the nearest AAA affiliated gargage). It is good to have once the car is on the road, it covers all your cars (the plan is written for the driver these days, not a specific car) and pays for itself in other discounts on hotels, trips, etc..  In the case you have, you could sign up, move the car out of the dealer and have the AAA arrange a tilt bed to collect and deliver your car while you ride along in the cab.  Not as exciting as actually driving it home, but at least you travel with your prize.

I hope that helps you.  Good luck and welcome to the club!

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

MGB Mountaineer

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
Re: Sitting car
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:21:37 AM »
Thank you a great deal for the advice. This morning, as I get insurance on the car, I'm also going to get AAA coverage and locate a garage with an MG mechanic. I appreciate your help in this.

MGB Mountaineer

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog