AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Frame or unibody  (Read 5593 times)

gwaggo

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
Frame or unibody
« on: March 29, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
I have located a MGB basket case that I am thinking of dropping a 327 in. Not having access to it I am curious as to whether the B's had a frame or were they unibody??

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Frame or unibody
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:48:05 PM »
B's are unit construction.  No independent frame.  Mounting a 327 in it will make it heavy and poor handling.  The car is fairly strong, if the shell is not rusted or repaired properly, but I still think a Chevy (or Rambler - you were not specific) 327 V8 might be a bit much for the roadster with reinforcement.  If you own the 327 and are looking for a British shell to fit this to, you might consider the full-chassis Triumphs (TR4 to TR6).  The early TR4 had a full chassis and solid rear axle.  I've seen versions with small blocks of all sorts in them.  One, featured in Moss' enthusiast magazine, had a 302 (5.0) Mustang engine in it and the tags "TR FORD".

For the B, the preferred engines for the swap are the 215 cid/3.5L-4.0L Buick/Rover aluminum block V8 or GM 3.8 V6.  Both weigh about the same as the original 1.8L 4 cylinder and kits exist to easily install them.  The Rover version of the V8 was factory installed in the B (Factory GT coupe only; roadsters were all done aftermarket) for a time and the engine was built and imported by Land Rover in the Discovery up until just a few years ago, so late EFI examples can be found.

I've also considered the use of the Nissan 3.0-3.5L V6 as used in the early 90's Infinity J30 and current G35 series and even X-Terra/Frontier trucks in supercharged dress.  Powerful, light and compact, I think it a better fit for a sports car than a cast-iron hunk destined to be good for a straight-line performance only matched to this car.

I hope that helps you.  Good luck.

Art

Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog