AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: MGB engine number  (Read 11949 times)

warnerj

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
MGB engine number
« on: April 07, 2007, 03:52:39 AM »
I have a 1975 MGB how can I tell if the engine is the orginial one. Is there a list that matches the Vin # or Commission # to the engine number?
warnerj49@hotmail.com.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:43:49 AM by amgba »

jegliebe3

• AMGBA Club Member
Re: MGB engine number
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »
Sort of, lol, in the "Complete Official MGB" book, there is a section that shows what series of engine was placed in each car year.  Does not match engine number directly with car number.  This might help you determine if your engine is original:  http://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgbr/identify.htm

I thinks someone with access to factory records is the only one that can give you a definitive answer.

My '70 GT has a GF engine which, but the chart on the site above, would indicate that the original engine has been replaced by an earlier one. 

Joe

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: MGB engine number
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:04:18 PM »
This is one that only a British Motor Heritage (BMH) indutry trust certification might resolve for sure.  They have all the records and can trace most any British built car's build history from the factory.  You might try calling or writing them, the information I have is below: 

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
Archive Department
Heritage Motor Centre
Banbury Road
Gaydon, Warwick CV35 OBJ

telelphone from the US:  011-44-1926-641188
fax from the US:  011-44-1926-645103

Now they may well also be web accessible, but I do not have any link.  If you find one, please post it for us all.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog