AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Lost keys- Where and how to find a replacement?  (Read 762 times)

march2019

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Lost keys- Where and how to find a replacement?
« on: April 17, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
Hello-
I am reaching out to this group in hopes to find an answer to my dilemma.  We have lost the keys to our 1974 MG MGB convertible. I have reached out to several locksmiths in the area and they do not make keys for older cars nor do they know which key it would use.  Apparently there are 4 different options it could be.  I am very inexperienced regarding this matter. 

Does anyone know who I can contact regarding this matter? Or how I figure out what key needs to be made for this car?  And who would come out and make one?

I would really appreciate any help or advise.  I live in Vancouver, Washington. 

Kind regards,
Sharon

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Lost keys- Where and how to find a replacement?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
You can order key blanks from Victoria British or the whole switch and key if needed.
Jim Collinson

I had the same situation. Ordered a new switch and key.
Rick Hatsell

I did a replacement of the steering lock and switch assembly on the steering column. It wasn’t difficult. Was about $125.
Joe Griffin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:26:22 PM by amgba »
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

amgba

• AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Lost keys- Where and how to find a replacement?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:45 PM »
Do you have any friends with MGs? Many seem to share the same key, you may get lucky and find a match that you could then copy.
Cliff Maddox

Triple-C.com also sells key blanks. You can then take them in to a professional locksmith who can cut them for your lock. This does not mean just any key duplicator - they don't have the knowledge nor the equipment. The other option is to buy an entire new lock with a matched key already cut. You can get those from numerous suppliers including Moss Motors, LBCarCo, and others.
Barry Barnes

If your key also opened the trunk (Boot) or the glove box you should have a real locksmith make you a new key and don't get a replacement lock for the ignition or you will still be locked out of the rest of the car. Northwest Import Parts is located across the river from you in Portland. They are a Moss dealer and only sell parts for MG's. https://www.northwestimportparts.com/default.aspx
Jim Lema
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog