AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Paint Color  (Read 312 times)

september2019

• An AMGBA Club Member
Paint Color
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
I have a '73 MGB. I am cleaning the carbs and then I think I need to paint it. It was originally a maroon I think. The question is what color should I make it.

Richard Moon

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Paint Color
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:38:48 PM »
You might want to paint it the original color. The MGB is a beautiful car that looks good in all colors, but for originality you might want to research and go back to the original.

It might make it worth more if you ever sell it - though others may have a different opinion. Some enthusiasts look down on non original colors.

Micah Clark
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Paint Color
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »
I have to agree. 

Mine is an older restoration from a time when everyone was painting their cars more 'popular' colors.  When I asked the same question of a club president at a show in NY I was attending, he actually looked at the original, unmolested Harvest Gold in the trunk of my 1973 B and said 'Any color but that!'  I went with Tartan Red, an original color for 73, but not for my car.

Looking at shows then (a sea of red and BRG cars, where no one car/color was terribly unique except the odd Damask, Blue or Harvest Gold one) and the much more colorful cars of today, I prefer the diversity.

The original Maroon is such a unique and deep color that looks so good on a chrome bumper car, I'd emphatically say to go original.

Safety Fast!

Art 

Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog