AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Engine Rebuilds  (Read 9 times)

september2019

• An AMGBA Club Member
Engine Rebuilds
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:28:36 PM »
I had to perform unexpected surgery on my '74 B on my way home from a club tech session, I started to hear a intermittent rattle from engine compartment.

I got home, opened the bonnet and the sound was coming from the timing cover.
Today after removing the radiator, fan, motor mounts, raising the engine about 2 inches, removed the harmonic balancer, then finally the timing cover.

The camshaft nut and retainer were not just loose, but fell to the ground while removing the cover. The retainer was bent as it should have been, but the small tab that fits into the cam was not bent 90 deg for full insertion.
I think whoever "rebuilt" the engine before I bought the car a few years back, Re-used the old parts. A botched job at best.
That allowed the nut to gradually loosen over time.

Fortunately nothing was damaged. The chain, tensioner, timing gears, and cam threads are unscathed. Just a couple of marks inside the the cover.

New parts ordered and on the way.

So if someone tells you the engine was rebuilt, ask by who or by what shop. So if something like this happens. You know NOT to have them touch your engine or anyone else's in the future.

Lyle Anderson

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog