AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Clicking Noise Under Hood  (Read 15 times)

september2019

• An AMGBA Club Member
Clicking Noise Under Hood
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:15:56 PM »
I just got my '75 MGB back from storage. i replaced the battery.

While hooking up the positive cable, I heard clicking under the hood. Anybody have any ideas what might cause this? Thanks!

Sue Collins

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Clicking Noise Under Hood
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »
Remove the negative cable from the battery and hook up the positive cable. Now, remove the fuses from the fuse box. Close the doors and touch the negative cable to the battery negative post. If you hear the clicking, it has to be something to do with the starter.

The starter gets power directly from the battery. It's possible (I suppose) that the wire to the solenoid has somehow shorted and gets power as soon as the battery cable is installed.

If nothing happens when you touch the the cable end to the negative terminal, install the fuses - one at a time - until the clicking can be heard again. Run the electrics back from that fuse until you discover the source of your issue.

Scott Stuchell
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog