News:

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt, or tech (CD/USB drive/emailed or past Octagons (CD/USB drive/emailed), see details in the "Join the Club" section at www.mgclub.org!

Main Menu

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog

Join or renew for 3 years and receive a free t-shirt
or tech sections on USB flash drive /emailed/CD or past Octagon issues on USB flash drive/emailed/CD
see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Starting Issues

Started by december2019, November 09, 2019, 02:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

december2019

I am having starting issues with a '79 MGB. It clicks but the starter will not engage.

Should I check the starter relay? If so, which of the 2 relays is for the starter as it has 2 identical relays, one on the cabin side of the fuse panel and one on the front end side of the fuse panel. I think the one on the front end side is for wipers and heater blower motor but does it control the starter as well?

Robert Willan

amgba

If the starter motor clicks it could be either it's not getting a good 12v with the amps backup or the ground earth is poor.

Check battery earths - battery live sides or earth ground between car chassis and engine body! If they are good check starter motor solenoid! That's a starting point to work from!

Howie Brooks
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog