AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Hood (Bonnet) Latch  (Read 81 times)

december2019

• An AMGBA Club Member
Hood (Bonnet) Latch
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:33:26 PM »
Ellen and I are new members of the  American MGB Association. We recently acquired a 1978 MGB in a sort of barn find. Though not run for 20 years, it was driven to the house where we found it. It appears that there is nothing missing from this car, and it is in reasonable condition for a 20 year semi covered park. The biggest problem we currently have is that the bonnet/hood will not open.
The pull cable is in the dashboard but it will not move. The hand latch at the bonnet front will move but to no avail. I have put my hand up to the latch from under the car but though I can feel the plunger, and the round plunger receptacle,  I  cannot find the opening latch, nor the cable to operate it.

I have researched this issue on line with mixed results. Most articles assume that the bonnet has been opened, or that the reader knows what and where things are - the article suggesting the use of a long bar through the grill/mesh being one.

Have you any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Stuart Wilson
Forsyth, Georgia

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Hood (Bonnet) Latch
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »
The bonnet cable approaches the bonnet latch release from the LH side (RH, as you stand in front of the vehicle).  The outer cable abuts a sheet metal stop.  The inner cable continues farther right and wraps around the bonnet latch assembly and then turns back on itself.  The bonnet latch is pulled to the left (right as you see it).  I can understand how it would be difficult to see in there.  You should be able to force the release lever to YOUR right and the bonnet should pop up.  Spraying EVERYTHING with WD-40 / Breakaway / PB Blaster may help and will do no harm.

I do NOT have a video about doing this.  Call if you need encouragement!

Hope this helps!
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

Office:  616-855-1684
Cell:  616-307-6737

johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog