AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Engine Identification  (Read 115 times)

march2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
Engine Identification
« on: February 14, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
I bought a 1963 MGB completely dissembled back in June. The previous owner had the motor rebuilt and indicated it was a 5 main engine. I have not pulled the pan to verify. My challenge is determining if it is an 18 GB or 18 GD because there is no engine ID tag. Can you provide some help?

Tom Bishop
Westerville, Ohio

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Engine Identification
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »
Here are some photos that have information about engine identification.  Here is a bit more:

The three main MG engines have a tach drive at the rear of the camshaft.

The 18GB engine is set for a dynamo, the newer engines also have a set of vertical 5/16-24 threads to accept the rear mount of an alternator. 

The 18V engines use a very different front engine bearing plate and a single row chain and sprockets for the cam.

The 1968/69 rear engine plate has a hole about the size of a silver dollar on the LH bottom.

Hope this little bit helps.
John Twist
SAFETY FAST!

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by JohnTwist »
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog