AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Clutch Cylinder Pushrod Travel Distance and A/C  (Read 282 times)

june2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
Clutch Cylinder Pushrod Travel Distance and A/C
« on: May 10, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
If you don't mind, I have two questions for you. 
Question one: What is the proper travel distance for the pushrod of the clutch slave cylinder? What I am measuring is about 3/8". I have heard and read from 3/8" to 3/4".

Question two: I have the dealer installed A/C system in my MGB. The compressor does kick on when I short out the pressure switch and the blower works good. Does it actually add value to the car or was it a gimmick just to get some extra money at the initial purchase? I live in Mississippi, so it does get hot. But, on sunny days, I'm going to have the top down anyways.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Best Regards,
David Spoon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by june2020 »

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Clutch Cylinder Pushrod Travel Distance and A/C
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 01:20:03 PM »
The pushrod moves very little – only 3/8” – 7/16”.  Watching it the movement appears to be much greater – but it isn’t.

AC is REALLY nice, but those old compressors are huge and heavy.  You can purchase a new, smaller compressor which handles the new coolant/Freon.  Just Google “classic car air conditioning” and you’ll find a number of firms providing help and advice.

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids MI 49506-2410
Cell:  616-307-6737
www.universitymotorsltd.com
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog