AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Engine Threads  (Read 55 times)

june2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
Engine Threads
« on: May 10, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
I have been rebuilding an 18V MGB engine. I removed the oil line adapter from the engine block to replace the copper crush washer. When I went to put the adapter back in, I have had problems. At first, I could not get the threads to engage. So very lightly, I tapped in the wrench while driving the adapter. It worked, sort of. When I began tightening down the adapter, I met resistance. I back out and now the threads are damaged from what looks like cross threading.

I can tell he block is damaged. I don't believe it is too bad and that I can correct this with a tap and die, but I don't have a clue what size threads are on the adapter and conversely in the engine block.

Can you please tell me what the correct size tap and die I should get and what standard to threads are? Thank you.
Bob Carpenter

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Engine Threads
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 01:19:02 PM »
I'm sure you've already taken care of this, but just in case -- the threads are 1/2" BSP parallel.  British Standard Pipe.  Not something you'll find at the local Ace Hardware.  You might try a thread file on the fitting that will smooth out the male threads.

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids MI 49506-2410
Cell:  616-307-6737
www.universitymotorsltd.com

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog