AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Gas gauge problem  (Read 154 times)

june2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Gas gauge problem
« on: June 22, 2021, 08:51:21 PM »
I have a 1975 MGB Roadster. When my gas tank if full the gas gauge registers 1/2 full. I have replaced the sending unit as well as the gauge itself and have the same result. I have also jumped the wiring (ground wire etc.) also with the same result. Could there be an obstruction in the tank preventing the float from full movement? Any advice would be appreciated. Don Pohlmann

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Gas gauge problem
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 08:26:40 AM »
Hi Don,

With all you've done up to now, I'd start by again checking the wiring over its entire length from the tank to the instrument panel.  Make sure the gage and sender are properly grounded.

Damaged insulation or a pinched wire could cause a ground which might throw-off the signal and reading.  Your car is over 45 years old and these things do happen.

If you have the OEM gas tank still installed, it would have baffles internally. Maybe one is loose in then tank that is restricting the float's movement.  Problem is that the only way to check that is to drain the fuel, remove the sender and then fish around the inside of the tank to see if anything is in the way.  Almost as much work as replacing it.

I also see there are several sending units listed for later cars, so make sure you have the right one.  The (3) tanks listed as the same for 65-up, just different suppliers and the OEM style is baffled, so I doubt the fit with any is an issue, but see my comment earlier on the baffles. 

Hope that helps you.  Let us know what you find.

Safety Fast!

Art

Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog