AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Water Pump  (Read 158 times)

september2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
Water Pump
« on: August 09, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
I need assistance with my 18GB engine water pump. Ordered one from Moss but not the same as broken one I took off. Need help with correct replacement. Do I need to get a different pulley perhaps to align with crankshaft pulley. Thanks for any assistance. Pictures show old and new.

Phil Bradley

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »
You have a two-groove pulley on an 18GB motor? That's incorrect. You should only have a one-groove pulley. The pulley only had one belt. It went from the crank, water pump, and generator. There is no second belt,
But, to keep things simple, probably best just to order the later water pump. The one they sent you is for the GB motor. Your "original" was not original.

It is not original. You have a '72 B. I assumed it to be in the 64-67 range because of the GB motor. Somebody put an early engine into your MkII MGB.

That's actually better in my  opinion. The GB motor is considered superior to the later ones by most folks.
I'm guessing that you have quite a few mods on that car. Different back and front plates as well to adapt to the later all-synchro trans, later starter, etc. etc. They adapted an early engine to fit your '72.

Brian Maesk
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog