AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Outer Rockers Patching  (Read 180 times)

december2020

• An AMGBA Club Member
Outer Rockers Patching
« on: November 14, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »
Some are not going to like this question and possible action. Guessing I would say my rockers/sills are 30% degraded. I cannot afford the cost to replace so I patched up the outer rockers and moved forward with paint. Has anyone injected any kind of material such as epoxy to make them more structurally sound.

I am going to do an experiment with gorilla glue. Going to inject it into a piece of pvc pipe and do a before and after weight load test.
OK I'm ready to dodge bullets.

Glenn Salzman

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Outer Rockers Patching
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 05:38:46 PM »
Back in the mid-'80s I paid a company in the Phoenix, Arizona area to replace all of my body panels from the chrome strip down. They pretended they did that, and charged me accordingly. What they actually did was put bondo on it and repainted it. It caused a major disintegration in the next few years and I just finished having to have everything completely redone at great expense. My suggestion is wait until you can afford to do it right. Half-measures will only bring you sadness.

The good news is here is what it looks like today.

Jim Turk
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog