AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Engine Mounts  (Read 420 times)

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Engine Mounts
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:14:56 PM »
Engine Mounts

I swapped the two old engine mounts out on the '79 MGB with new ones. Not fun, but done!

Jack up the car, remove the front tires, remove the alternator, use jack again to lift the engine using a short 2x4 on the back half of the oil pan. Unbolt the old mounts by removing nuts under the frame (having the wheels off helps). Unbolt the bolts holding the mount to the engine (2 of these on each). Lift engine high enough to manually remove the old mounts.

Next steps are for installing the new mounts and you can do this without disconnecting the steering column nor boots. I would recommend that you cut 1/4" off the bolt on the left (driver's side) mount or the bolt will be too far behind (and hidden) behind the column. Also to get the washer and nut on the bolt, you will need to stick some painter's tape on a wrench to get them started on the bolt. I used a closed wretched box end to get it started, then used an open end slim wrench to finish the job. It may be tempting to continue with the closed end wretch but, if you do, you won't be able to get the wrench off the bolt as the end will be behind the column. After that, you can lower the engine until the mount aligns to the engine bolt holes. I had to use a pry bar to help the process.

Like I said, not fun but done!
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog