AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Speedometer Erratic  (Read 187 times)

march2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Speedometer Erratic
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:58:18 PM »
I have a 1967 MGB and the speedometer became erratic this past week, Initially it would fluctuate from 60 to 120 and eventually now swings to the stop at zero. I initially oiled the inside of the cable to no avail and then replaced the speedometer cable and the right angle adapter but again to no avail.

Do you think that I need to have the speedometer serviced? Do you or Rusty Moose Garage service gauges or where I can have it serviced if that is the rectification.

Thanks John for your advice.

Mike White
Port Sydney, Ontario

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Speedometer Erratic
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »
The cable is the usual suspect but since youve changed it, the problem is within the speedo.  On some of the later models, the speedo driving gear on the main shaft of the gearbox can freewheel, but Im certain that yours is keyed.  You can find another, used (and possibly faulty) speedo on eBay.  I know Nisonger in Mamaroneck, New York can rebuild your speedo or replace the guts with a GPS system.

Hope this helps at this late date.

John H Twist

SAFETY FAST!
University Motors Online
www.universitymotorsltd.com
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog