AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Gauges  (Read 253 times)

march2021

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Gauges
« on: February 14, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »
I have a rather simple but technical question and I can't seem to get a straight answer out of Moss Motors.  Basically my question is about temperature sensors but it is model year specifics that I need.   I'll make the story as short as possible.

I have a 1966 MGB roadster, so it started life with the combination oil pressure & water temperature gauge (Safety Gauge?).  For some reason a previous owner replaced this with separate oil pressure and water temp gauges.  This may (or may not) be related to the fact that my '66 MGB has a 1973 engine in it (18V672Z-Lxxx).  Therefore it has HIF-4 carbs, but it still has a generator and it is a positive earth car. 

I would love to go back to the combo gauge so I can put my fuel gauge back into the dashboard where it belongs.  Luckily my '73 engine does not have the electronic oil pressure gauge setup, so the oil pressure part is not an issue.  My real question (finally!) is the following.

Will this meter work in my car? In other words, will the capillary tube from a safety gauge mate with my 1973 cylinder head?  Is there anything else I need to know about this?

Thanks again
Don Strait

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »
That 5/8-18 thread runs from the TC through the 1980 MGB.  So the safety gauge temp bulb will fit right into the head.  You may be able to find an original gauge labelled in degrees Centigrade or Fahrenheit as the more modern gauges are simple C-N-H.  If you find a used unit on eBay or from Paul Dierschow at Sportscar Craftsmen in Arvada Colorado, you can have it rebuilt and calibrated by Nisonger Instruments in Mamaroneck, New York.   New gauges, made in China, are available, too.

Hope this helps

John H Twist
SAFETY FAST!
University Motors Online
www.universitymotorsltd.com
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog