AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Rear Springs Replacement  (Read 311 times)

march2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Rear Springs Replacement
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »
I know you guys say that most things on the B is basic maintenance but how hard is it to change the rear springs?
Erik David McFarlane

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Rear Springs Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:11:15 PM »
I have done this at least ten times, and always seem to have more issues with the front bolt spinning/breaking free in the rubber bushing than the rear shackle bolt. Heat and lot of penetrating oil sometimes works, but I have honed my skills at the reciprocating saw in this location.

After itís been replaced (and that front rubber bushing resleeved with a steel insert) once, it will be easy to change in the future.

Erick Riggs
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Rear Springs Replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
I'll add to that saying that it's a good idea to have at least a set of (2) replacement u-bolts for the rear axles.  I find there's always one that the bolt breaks every time I do this. 

The usual suspects (parts catalogs) carry exact replacements at reasonable cost (about $2.50-$3.00 each).  At that price it's good to have because it's annoying to be stuck and unable to finish the job because one or more of them broke.  Having been caught by this once, I found an alternative in a heavier piece from the universal replacement parts rack at a local NAPA or Pep Boys store.  I had to drill the holes in the bottom plate slightly larger for the bigger bolt diameter, but it was otherwise an exact fit over the axle.

I would also suggest you check the rebound straps beforehand as well.  While not necessarily part of the job replacing the springs, it is a good time to make sure they are not rotten or broken and that the welded attachment points to the axle are not rusted through and about to fall-off or gone already.  You would have to take the u-bolts off to replace the attachment pieces, so good to know what's doing before you start. 

Safety Fast!

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

†† AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog