AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Radiator problem  (Read 581 times)

Perry69

• AMGBA Club Member
  • Membership Number (if known): 17-16179
Radiator problem
« on: February 20, 2021, 11:47:54 AM »
I have a '69 B. I bought it three years ago but know very little of the history of it. Recently the radiator has begun leaking. It has a "pusher fan" attached to the front of the rad and it appears the fan is attached to the radiator with four spring-loaded bolts that are through the radiator itself. It is around these attachments where coolant has begun to seep out. The fan appears to be very similar to the Hayden electric fan on page A58 of the newest Moss catalog. Here are my questions: 1) should I replace the radiator or can the leakage be fixed? If a replacement is warranted are the aluminum rads in the Moss catalog reliable? Can a standard fan be attached to the pulley assembly on the fore end of the engine or should I stick with the electric fan? Currently the engine does not have a fan. As you can tell I am not "mechanically gifted" when it comes to these things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Radiator problem
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 11:17:40 PM »
I have a 74. Had rad recored once. Ran a little hot but not bad. Installed new stock rad along with fan shroud from moss. No problems now. New Aluminum rad may be better.
Robert DeLany
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

amgba

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 11:18:37 PM »
If it was working fine before; I would try first bringing it to a rad shop for repair. It will be the cheapest way if repairable. If not; then seek other options.
John Poulsen
American MGB Association

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

amgba

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 11:19:28 PM »
I had the radiator recorded and they used a different core with about 30% more cooling tubes and replaced the fan with the new plastic fan from MOSS (you may need the spacer also, I had one)
Works well.
Robert-Amy Gehweiler
American MGB Association

amgba

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 11:28:14 PM »
The stock fan ran on a pully that was attached to the water pump. Take a look at the schematic in Moss. Your fan sounds like a replacement electric fan, which is not a bad thing as engine turned fans take a lot of power out of the motor. You should have your radiator pressure checked and go from there. Odds are the core is leaking and a new radiator might be in store. Best of luck.
Jeff Brooke
American MGB Association

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 08:34:03 AM »
Hi Perry,

I had a similar issue with my '73.  I replaced the radiator with an aftermarket aluminum unit.  It offered a wider core and more capacity at less than the cost of re-coring or replacing the original at between $200-$250.  And aluminum, as a material, dissipates heat better.

My electric fan was installed as yours was and I reinstalled it the same way.  Going forward, I would prefer to have the brackets to suspend the fan off the frame, like the Revotec units offered by Moss, but those fans cost more than the radiators do.

So far, it works very well and looks good to boot (see attached).  We'll have to wait and see how it holds up for the long run.  The original has been in my MGB for at least the first 30 years that I've owned it.

Just another option to consider.  Hope that helps.

Safety Fast!

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog