AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Brakes Dragging  (Read 193 times)

june2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Brakes Dragging
« on: April 24, 2021, 11:27:00 AM »
I took my '74 MGB out yesterday here in Seattle area. The brakes were dragging, and then overheated so the dash light came on, and it was difficult to move forward. I pulled over and parked. My wife came to get me, when we returned it was fine. No dragging brakes. Parking brake was not pulled up and doesn't seem to be the issue. Master cylinder was replaced 2 or 3 years ago.

Any ideas on why brakes would drag, or not pop back off? Bad springs? Or hydraulics?  Thanks!

Zack Hudgins

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Brakes Dragging
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
I had rotten rubber lines going to the calipers and I couldn't bleed them properly/ There will be little rotten flaps of rubber inside acting like check valves making your life miserable until they get replaced.

David Dietz
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Brakes Dragging
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 08:47:07 AM »
Hi Zack,

I totally agree with David on the flexible lines.  They can cause all kinds of issues as he described.  I will make sure to replace them every time I do a brake job on my B.

I didn't see whether the issue was with the front or rear brakes that were dragging?  Or if you had you used the handbrake anytime before the issue?  You just mentioned the handle was not up, so I would think maybe you did while parked.

If asked, I'd bet you can't remember when you last greased the handbrake cable.  There's a zerk for this about mid way up the cable from the rear axle that tends to be forgotten. In fact, in writing this I'm reminded I didn't do it myself when I did my spring tune-up a couple of weeks ago. 

Rust or hardened grease can build-up in the cable casing and the cable can bind and hold the rear brakes, even after the handle is dropped.  Like the 'check valve' action of the rubber lines, the cable can slowly (or suddenly) release, freeing the brakes without any evidence of an issue with the exception that all the paint has been burned-off your rear drums from the heat.

Hope that helps you.  Let us know what you find.

Safety Fast!

Art 

Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog