AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Sway Bar Needed?  (Read 181 times)

june2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Sway Bar Needed?
« on: April 24, 2021, 11:29:44 AM »
I'm about to replace the bushings on mine because it's banging around under there.

I am reading positive and negative opinions regarding the bar. Some say it's a benefit others say it's not. Some say they removed it to "improve the ride".

I am curious as to the "whatsis" about the bar. What say you folks?
Jon Suponski

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Sway Bar Needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 11:53:48 AM »
The bar is there to do exactly wott its called, to stop the rear end from swaying around, Otherwise there's only the leaf springs, which don't do that good a job of holding the axle steady. Aftermarket synthetic rubber bushings work the best, but while your doing the back you'd best also check your front bushings for cracking and deterioration. They go soft and mushy after years of use. Because if the fronts are soft then your going to have a firm back end, and a sloppy front which effects the handling.

Ian Parker
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog