AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Dual Carb Swap  (Read 447 times)

december2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Dual Carb Swap
« on: November 21, 2021, 07:05:12 PM »
Does anybody have any opinions or advice concerning swapping out the dual carbs on my ‘65 MGB for a single Webber DCOE side draft? 

Should I keep the original equipment at all costs or modify the old girl up a bit?

Also considering upgrading to electrical ignition.  Should I or shouldn’t I?

Many thanks!
Ethan Brosowsky

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Dual Carb Swap
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:11:46 AM »
The Webber DCOE is way too much carb for a stock engine. It's better to get your SU's rebuilt. Also consider getting your distributor rebuilt and have a Pertronix ignition installed in place of points. Try new plugs & wires, valve adjustment, timing adjustment for distributor, then the very last thing is to adjust the rebuild carbs. Assuming you have good compression those changes will make the car run like it's new.

Jim Lema
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog