AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Wire Wheel Size  (Read 561 times)

march2022

• An AMGBA Club Member
Wire Wheel Size
« on: February 08, 2022, 01:14:52 AM »
My original 14 x 4 wire wheels and hubs are done for.  I plan on purchasing new wire wheels and hubs (painted).  What size does your experience recommend?

Iím open to other suggestions  of course.  Going to 15Ē wires seems like they would be heavy and maybe look funky but maybe thatís still a better course?

Either way thanks and glad to see you are doing well and motoring on.

Cheers!
Erick Nodland

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Wire Wheel Size
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 09:12:31 PM »
Changing the rear hubs is easy.  Back off the brakes, remove the drum, spin the 1 5/16" nut off the axle, pull on the hub and give it a crack with your brass/lead hammer.  It will pull right off.

Changing the front hubs is a lot harder because you have to change the bearing and then shim them CORRECTLY!  I've got a YouTube video about that.

Use anti-seize on the hubs when you mount the new wheels.

I've seen the original 14", and 15" and even 16" used on the MGBs.  As the rim gets larger you have to drop the tire profile.  By 16" and low profile tires the B is hard to steer and the ride is rough.  Looks cool, though.

Use 185/70 tires (or 175/70 if you can find them).  Try Universal Tire in Hershey PA or Coker Tire in Chattanooga TN.  Vredestein has been the go-to tire recently.  Have a motorcycle shop fit the tubes, mount the tires, and balance the wheels. 

Hope some of this helps!

Call if you have questions.

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

†† AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog