AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Ignition Timing  (Read 501 times)

december2021

• An AMGBA Club Member
Ignition Timing
« on: November 21, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »
I have a question about the ignition timing on my '78 MGB.  There were a number of modifications when I purchased it a few years ago. It has a Pertronix flame thrower distributor and coil.  I followed your recommendation for setting the timing at 32 BTDC at 4000 rpm's. 

The timing at idle (900-1000 rpm's) is about 20 BTDC.  Is that about right, or have I missed something? Thanks. 
Louis Assemes

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Ignition Timing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
That idle advance is OK as long as the idle is disconnected.  If you have 20 BTDC mechanical and connect the vacuum it probably moves up to about 40 BTDC?  Thatís my experience.  The engine loves to idle with fast timing, but as soon as you step on the throttle the vacuum is lost and the timing reverts to mechanical. 

SAFETY FAST!

John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids MI 49506-2410
Cell  616 307 6737
www.universitymotorsltd.com
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

†† AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog