AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Carb Setup  (Read 300 times)

march2022

• An AMGBA Club Member
Carb Setup
« on: February 08, 2022, 12:36:48 AM »
What’s the best carb setup for a '79 MGB to maximize horsepower?
Mark A. Pinson

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Carb Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:55:58 AM »
I've driven MGBs for 51 years and have done all sorts of things to them. Regarding SU carbs, they're fine choices but there's absolutely nothing magical about them. Purists love them because they were original. They also look pretty cool. I did get very good at synchronizing them in my first year of ownership – but I got TIRED of having to!

I've used dual HS-4s, dual HS-6s, dual HIF-4s, single Weber 32/36, and dual Weber DCOE 45s. They're all good to great carburetors... but the choice depends on your goals.

When you only address a single component of what is, in fact, a complex whole system you won't realize significant results.
It's okay to start that way – just realize you've only done that... STARTED. To make a big difference, keep on going.
Barry Barnes
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog