AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Heater Return Hose  (Read 316 times)

march2022

• An AMGBA Club Member
Heater Return Hose
« on: February 08, 2022, 12:38:43 AM »
I just noticed on my recently acquired '79 B that the heater return hose runs to the rear of the cylinder head, as opposed to my '78 where it runs to the lower radiator hose. I checked my '78 head and there was a block off plate on the head. Any difference in cooling (or heating) depending how the heater hose is routed?
Christopher Chamberlain

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Heater Return Hose
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:53:22 AM »
The block-off plate on the cylinder head covers a hole in the cylinder head that provided water to the water choke on the Zenith Stromberg carburetor. Change the ZS carburetor to SU's or a Weber, or change the ZS water choke to manual control (using the excellent German built kit sold by Moss Motors), and the only option you have without changing the head to an earlier one is to use a block-off plate to cover the hole. I'm not certain that using the water choke hole to feed the heater system provides any tangible benefit(s) to the efficiency of the cooling or heating on a late model MGB.

Tony Thomas
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog