AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog

Join or renew for 3 years and receive a free t-shirt
or tech sections on USB flash drive /emailed/CD or past Octagon issues on USB flash drive/emailed/CD
see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Valve Cover Sealant

Started by march2022, February 08, 2022, 01:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

march2022

What is the best valve cover (top cover and side covers) sealant for a cork gaskets on a '79 MGB?
Steve Lindsey

JohnTwist

Moss sells a thick cork valve cover gasket that works very well.  Secure it to the valve cover with "The Right Stuff" or "Ultrablack" both by Permatex.  Then LIBERALLY paint the underside of the gasket with #2 lithium grease where it meets the cylinder head.  This will allow the valve cover to be removed multiple times without damage to the gasket.

Moss sells a thin cork gasket for the very early MGB and the MGA three main engines.  Use this gasket on the front side cover.  Again, use either of those Permatex sealers -- but this time use it liberally on BOTH sides of the gasket. 

The rear side cover receives the reddish/orangish rubber gasket.  No need to use the sealer between the cover and the gasket, but certainly use it between the gasket and the cylinder block.

Hope this helps!

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog