AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: No Brake Pedal  (Read 46 times)

• An AMGBA Club Member
No Brake Pedal
« on: May 07, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »
Hello and thanks for your tutorials. My '71 B has a brake pedal that goes to the floor after new front brakes, calipers, rotors and pads. I have bled a lot and cannot get a pedal. I pulled off the brake drums and found fluid on top of the left shoe and on the lower portion of the right shoe on the rear right side.

How can this be?? I donít see any signs of fluid loss. Thanks. Will. BTW I was on the DMZ in 1968 and 69. In the marines, but worked with the Army often.

Will Anderson

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: No Brake Pedal
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 11:22:09 AM »
A couple of things.  Ensure that the calipers are assembled to the kingpins with the bleeder at the top of the unit -- or you cannot get the air out.  Bleed the rears first, then the fronts.  If there is even the tiniest leak in any fitting, fluid may not escape but air can get sucked in -- so loosen and then retighten EVERY brake fitting and line. 

Bleeding is a two-person affair.  One person is at the wheel with a catch basin.  He calls out to the person in the driver's seat (and remind them to push on the brake, not the clutch pedal).  Open the bleeder and call "DOWN."  The driver depresses the pedal to the floor -- but not at emergency stop speed or you'll get a face-full of fluid -- just a gentle push down.  Wait for the air/fluid to bleed out.  Close the bleeder and call "UP."  Wait ten seconds and repeat the sequence.  Eventually you'll get fluid from the cylinder.  Bleed until there's no air, then go to the next cylinder -- in this order:  Left Rear, Right Rear, Right Front, Left Front.

I haven't got an answer about the fluid on the shoes.  You can check for leakage by removing the shoes and clamping the wheel cylinder closed (with a metal C clamp).  Have your driver depress the pedal with moderate force and watch for leaks.  Of course there should be NONE.

I was in III Corps just 25 miles NW of Saigon near Tay Ninh with the 25th Inf Div 69-70. 
Hope this helps a bit.

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids MI 49506-2410
Cell  616 307 6737
www.universitymotorsltd.com
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

†† AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog