AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Windshield Side Pillar Bolt Removal  (Read 242 times)

• An AMGBA Club Member
Windshield Side Pillar Bolt Removal
« on: May 07, 2022, 10:32:19 AM »
I may know this answer already but worth asking.

Iím replacing my windscreen on the '76 B. Is there a method to remove the side pillar bolts to the body?

I have the two front bolts removed, towards front of the car. The two at the corners of the dash are harder to access. Is there a trick or does the dash need to be removed?

Drake

JohnTwist

• AMGBA Club Tech Staff
    • University Motors
Re: Windshield Side Pillar Bolt Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »
There are six bolts which hold the screen in place.  Two on each pillar, and two in the center.  Sometimes you can gain access more easily by removing the brake light warning switch on the left and the glovebox on the right.  With the dash in place it's a bugger!  Removing the dash is a Herculean task.  You should change the gasket between the frame and body.  Let the screen sit on the car for a day or so with the gasket correctly placed. 

Warm weather is your friend as that gasket makes refitting the screen a task, to say the least.  We would use clamps, although getting them to stay put was always a problem since everything's a compound curve -- or we would use a couple of guys pushing down on the pillar.  It's a struggle to be sure.

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids MI 49506-2410
Cell  616 307 6737
www.universitymotorsltd.com
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

†† AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog