AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog

Join or renew for 3 years and receive a free t-shirt
or tech sections on USB flash drive /emailed/CD or past Octagon issues on USB flash drive/emailed/CD
see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

15 and 15.5" wheels

Started by amgba, August 09, 2022, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amgba

I'm more than a bit opinionated on this question, and it is a good one.

The following comments about 15" wheels are based on the MWS/Dunlop designs currently available.

I'm not really happy with the offsets of the 15" x 5" and 15" x 5.5" wire wheels that are available. They all stick out more than the standard wheel causing tire interference problems with the rear fenders, especially on the lower chrome bumper models. The original MGC wheels would be perfect, but have not been available for many, many years. The 15" x 5" wheel currently available is a Morgan fitment and sticks out further than the 15" x 5.5" wheel.

Based on the above, I recommend sticking with the 14" wheel size. Either the original 4" wide wheel fitted with 165/80 tyres. (my preference being Vredstein Sprint), or the factory competition wheel which is a 72 spoke 14" x 5.5". This wheel is built specifically for the MGB and has the optimal offset to get a 185/70 tire under the car with no clearance issues. The wheels are a bit pricey, but you can pick up suitable 185/70 tyres at a reasonable cost.

Kelvin Dodd
Global Sourcing Engineer
Moss Motors LTD.
440 Rutherford Street
Goleta, California 93117
(805) 679-7023
doddk@mossmotors.com
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog