AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog

Join or renew for 3 years and receive a free t-shirt
or tech sections on USB flash drive /emailed/CD or past Octagon issues on USB flash drive/emailed/CD
see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Brake Squeal

Started by 2022, August 09, 2022, 12:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My local restoration shop replaced my front brake pads and also machined the rotors.  About three years ago. Ever since then they have been trying to figure out how to stop the brake squeal.

If the car and brakes are cold, there is no squeal, but after a few minutes of driving them the brakes do squeal as I am slowing down.

Any suggestions?

Rorie

JohnTwist

This was not a problem until after I closed my shop, so I'm not certain as to the fix.  I know the pads are the problem as the rotors haven't changed.  We used to put a layer or two of duct tape on the back side of the pads to reduce the vibration.

Commercial products (some sort of goo) are available too.  Glenn from Glenn's MG service in St Petersburg FL told me to use a pad supplied by Engel Imports, Kalamazoo MI. I think ii is Mintex?

SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog