News:

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt, or tech (CD/USB drive/emailed or past Octagons (CD/USB drive/emailed), see details in the "Join the Club" section at www.mgclub.org!

Main Menu

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog

Join or renew for 3 years and receive a free t-shirt
or tech sections on USB flash drive /emailed/CD or past Octagon issues on USB flash drive/emailed/CD
see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Brakes, Choke and Steering

Started by 2022, August 09, 2022, 12:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just purchased a '72 B. I was able to drive it on and off the trailer. I am very eager to get started and promptly sent a donation your way. I have a few observations I've made since getting it home:

It starts right up on full choke but will not run with the choke off also choke cable has some slippage. Braking is weak and the parking brake doesn't seem to be doing much of anything.

The steering seems to be heavier than it should be and not very smooth to turn the wheel. The rack looks to be in poor condition, one boot was dry rotted and broken in several pieces. I plan to pull the rack/pinion and refresh that but unsure of refilling procedure for the lube.

I have not pulled the wheels off to inspect the rotors/calipers/drums/shoes but I imagine it's safer to order new kits for front and back.

CJ Whitt

JohnTwist

Some of the newer choke cables do not lock well And you may have to change the cable to restore the locking function. two ensure the cable locks spin the inner cable anti clockwise before locking it into the trunnion and screw.

The brakes are the most important part of the MGB work on the brakes first!

Before removing the steering rack and pinion where you place the boots, fill the rack with oil, and adjust the load on the pinion. I have a YouTube video showing how to do this. The rack boots that are available from the major suppliers don't seem to last a long time. Instead, purchase Ford rack boots from Napa. Part number: 269-1507.

Hope this helps a bit.
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
SAFETY FAST!
John H Twist
University Motors Online
100 East Beltline Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49506

616-307-6737
johntwist@universitymotorsltd.com
www.universitymotorsltd.com

If you have found my technical advice helpful, please consider making a contribution to help defray my online expenses.  Go to my website and click the PayPal button: www.universitymotorsltd.com.

back to AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog