AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Keeping engine temp as cool as possible in the summer  (Read 3852 times)

tedsalmon

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
Keeping engine temp as cool as possible in the summer
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:51:54 PM »
I own a '74 mgb with a rebuilt engine .040 over.  I live in east Texas where it is usually 100 degrees + in the summer.  My B usually runs very slightly over "N" at speeds over 55.  Is this about as cool as I can expect?

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Keeping engine temp as cool as possible in the summer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 02:32:34 AM »
Hi Ted,

This is about right.  I have a 73, which is virtually the same as yours, bored .060 over which runs much the same and I live in New Jersey.

My area seldom gets as hot as Texas does, but many have opted for installing aftermarket electric cooling fans to deal with traffic and high outside temperatures.  I have installed several (11" or 13" size) and also put a thermostat overide (catastrophe) switch to make the fan run constantly in slow traffic and avoid the engine getting too hot in the first place.  Beats turning on the heater and cooking when sitting in traffic, though that works very well to cool a hot engine in an emergency.

Hope that helps you.

Art.
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog