AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: MGB STEEL WHEELS  (Read 11755 times)

speedyg

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
MGB STEEL WHEELS
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:43:36 AM »
I have a 1967 MGB with the steel wheels.
The wheels are now in need of repainting/powder coating as they have faded over the years.
Does anyone out there know what color they should be painted, or who I could contact to find out?
I have seen similar wheels on MGA's and TF's and they look to be a silver/grey colour.
It would be useful to have the paint code so the color can be properly mixed.
Thanks

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: MGB STEEL WHEELS
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:30:16 AM »
Several paints have been suggested over the years.  The most popular seem to be the Moss Classic Silver paint (Part No. 220-560) and Plasti-Kote GM7 184.  There's also Subaru Jewel Silver Code 9985 and a Dupli-Color Ford paint, but I cannot find that number and do not know if they even offer it any more.  I used a good Rustoleum Silver on my original wires.  It was a bit more metallic looking that the original finish, but, after clear-kote, looked great and helped keep the rust from coming back too quickly.

For the black, any good generic gloss, semi-flat or satin finish black paint will do, depending on your desire for finish.  My old Rostyles had a shinier finish to the black, but I like the contrast (and serviceability) of the semi-flat finish paints. 

If you are planning to gloss clear-kote the wheels after painting, a semi-flat, satin or even flat finish for the black helps the clear adhere better.

Sand-blasting the wheels before painting has been the tried-and-true way to get to cean metal, but blasting often does not get into the crevices where the center meets the rim.  This leaves oxidized metal or dirt and allows rust to start again sooner, no matter how good the paint is.  If you have eveidence of rust there, consider getting the wheels chemically dipped.  The process is a bit more expensive, but being liquid, removes all the rust entirely.  They usually spray oil on the rims afterward to protect the raw metal or some offer to primer them for a fee.  Picking them up raw allows you to see the condition of the metal (pitting, dents, dirt remaining in the seams, etc. that can be hidden by primer) and you then just need to clean the wheels with solvent before you paint. 

I hope that helps you.

Art 
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

speedyg

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:54:24 PM »
Thanks Art.

The wheels I have are the old style steel wheels. They are the standard fitment to the early MGB Roadster, ie 4" wide rims. Now I have the paint sorted, I need to find tires that will fit. Currently have 165SR14's which are nigh on impossible to find. Modern tires appear to be too wide for the rims, eg, 175/70R14's.
I will put out another thread if I can't find an answer.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »
Even at 4" (though I believe your rims are actually 4.5" wide), the rims will fit modern 165 or 175 and 78 or 70 series (aspect ratio) tires safely.  In the Tech Tips of our site is a guide to help on selecting tires and it explains how the aspect ratio works.  The MG Experience website has a section with even more detail. 

A 78 series tire, while slightly higher than a 70 series of the same size, might be a better fit on the rim because it is narrower, though the ride and handling would be better on the 70 series.  Check it out there and with your tire supplier first.  I know people have put the 185R70-14 tires on the stock rims without difficulty.  These really should be on a wider (5.5" to 6") rim, but it helps illustrate that a 175R70-14 fit would be fine.

If you are determined to keep close to original size tire size (which was actually a 155SR14 radial tire or 5.20-14 bias ply tire for the MGB roadster - a 78 series equivalent, very narrow tires), you might try the classic tire makers, like Coker Tire (www.cokertire.com), who charge dearly for these, but can get original tread patterns and whitewalls as necessary.

Good luck.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

speedyg

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:23:15 PM »
Thanks Art,
the rims are definetly 4" wide, as I have removed a tire and measured 4" inside of the flanges. I had thought about fitting the 175/70 as mentioned earlier but had read that these are only suitable for 4.5" to 6" wide wheels.
Your suggestion of the 78 series tire would probably get me closer to the original 155R14 rolling radius.
However, my main concern is that the 175 tire is OK with a 4" rim. I am not an aggressive driver so this width may be OK.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog