AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Emission test failure  (Read 7384 times)

december2006

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Emission test failure
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:50:26 AM »
Just failed Illinois emissions' test. Hydrocarbons @ 1692 (s/b<800). CO passed @ 5.4. Need to know how to adjust the SU carbs on a stock 1974 with emissions intact.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Bohler

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: Emission test failure
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
You’ve got to lean-out the mixture. Using the manual, with the car warm, bring the jet up as high as you can to the bridge so less fuel is drawn in. Make sure your floats and their jets there are adjusted properly to prevent internal leakage and flooding.
Also consider going to a free-flow air cleaner or at least new stock ones. Use may improve the efficiency of the element for cleaning the air into the carb, but causes restrictions. Less restriction on the intake allows more air into the mixture and leans it out. For testing purposes, a light foam element filter can help (I used to remove the elements entirely from the stock air filters when I lived in New York and the B was young enough as to required yearly testing, as they never opened the covers to check).
I hope that helps you. Good luck.
Art Isaacs
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog