AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Trunk latch  (Read 4578 times)

december2008

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Trunk latch
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:59:51 PM »
I purchased a 1979 MGB, it was delivered last Friday evening. Apparently in transit (between Maryland and Vermont) the key tumbler became unattached to the latch device. Everything is there, but the button depresses without releasing the latch. I have tried every way I know to move the pieces around inside, but the latch will not release. The seller said he never had this problem before and he packed the trunk with the cover, manuals, etc. I called three locksmiths, they have no interest in looking at it. Is there another way into the trunk area, behind the rear bulkhead? Is there a way to release the latch if I drill the bottom out of it? My first MGB experience is proving a bit challenging. Thanks for any help.
Dick

august11

Re: Trunk latch
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
Dick,
Same answer that I gave to someone else on this board. Don't know if this photo of the inside of the boot and its latch will help. I had a problem when the tumbler came completely with the key and had to fish a strong wire (from paint can handle) into the assembly to release it. Need to bend the wire a bit to get the right angle. Anyway, here's a shot of it so you know what you're trying catch to release it. Took me 4 hours (off and on and a few beers). Once done I replaced the flimsy washer with a split locking type. Good Luck.

Ted

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog