AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: a/c in a midget  (Read 3527 times)

k_n_browning

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
a/c in a midget
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:45:32 PM »
I have a 1971 midget love the car, but the last few days down here in the southeast Oklahoma been to hot.Found Kits for the MGB but nothing for the Midget.A little cool air would be nice.Thanks Kevin

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: a/c in a midget
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:34 PM »
I have never seen a specific kit for or even a Midget with A/C.  I'm sure one of those old "Continental" type aftermarket kits could be adapted, but the horsepower it would take to drive the compressor and the space needed in the car would be hardly worth the effort.  The source for one might an out fit called "Vintage Air" that makes kits for the old American cars of the 50's and 60's.

Years ago, before most folks had A/C in their cars, they had these plastic boxes with fans that you filled with ice.  The box either sat on the floor in the back or hung outside a partially open window and the fan blew air across the ice so you got cool air inside.  The water was drained off to keep the box from filling so to allow the air from the fan to circulate around the ice (hence the better application outside the car).  They had been used by people crossing the desert roads in Nevada, so I think they must have worked reasonably well.  Might be a quick fix to either find or make one that fits behind the seats, blowing cool air between them.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog