AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: 1971 Carpet Color (and other questions)...newbie  (Read 4193 times)

Dick Steinkamp

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
1971 Carpet Color (and other questions)...newbie
« on: October 17, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »
I'm the new owner of a '71 MGB Roadster.  It is Teal with a Autumn Leaf interior.  The carpet needs to be replaced.  The current color is a light brown almost beige but does not appear to be the original carpet.  

In the 1971 show room brochure, an Autumn Leaf interior is shown.  The carpet is either black or a dark brown in that picture.

Does anyone know what color the carpet SHOULD be...and what is the best source for that carpet?

Also, I have rubber mats that completely fill the foot wells and look stock.  Was there originally carpet in the foot wells, or were the rubber mats the original covering there.

One more question.  I currently have Rostyle wheels but really like the look of chromed 60 spoke wires on these cars.  Were chromed wires ever an option?

Thanks in advance.

Dick
Bellingham, WA

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:04:18 PM by Dick Steinkamp »

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: 1971 Carpet Color (and other questions)...newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »
Hi Dick,

I do not remember seeing dark brown color carpet being offered by the factory, but Moss Motors (www.mossmotors.com) does show a brown brown kit that they make for both the 68-80 Roadster (Catalog Part Number 244-375).  The OEM-style carpet sold by most of the catalogs, including Moss, show only the lighter colors whether called Beige, Honey Tan, Biscuit or Autumn Leaf, which have only a slight shade of difference between them.

Other aftermarket sources (like JC Whitney, which still has upholstery and carpet kits available for the B, though not in original patterns or materials) and local upholstery shops can do pretty much whatever color you like, though they might look less original.

Keep in mind that whatever the carpet color, the instrument panel and consoles are always black.  On the lighter interiors, you might like the look of the light carpet because the contrast to the consoles to a darker brown carpet might look odd.

The best sources for all new MG parts are available on-line and will gladly send you hardcopy version on request.  They are Moss Motors (www.mossmotors.com), Victoria British (www.victoriabritish.com), The Roadster Factory (www.the-roadster-factory.com) and The Proper MG (www.propermg.com).  The catalogs are great not only as sources for the parts, but as a guide to identifying what you have or are looking for.  The sketches are often better and more detailed than the Hanes or Bentley manuals offer.

There was rubber flooring from the factory in many of these cars, but I think the mats you refer to are heavier and put on top of the carpet.  They fit and work very well and last a long time.  They are still available new from most of the catalogs.

Chrome wires were also an option, though I am not sure if this was a dealer option or from the factory.  Painted wires were definitely a factory option.  Converting a Rostyle (disc wheel) car to wires is not to be taken lightly.  A true "factory" conversion requires replacing the rear axle.  The wire wheel rear axle is slightly narrower that the disc wheel axle you have and the tires will rub the bodywork if you just change the hubs on the back.  Front conversion is merely changing the hubs, so not too bad.  A conversion kit is available to fit new hubs to the disc wheel axle.  It is easier, but expensive.  If you are changing to wires, consider using the aftermarket 72 spoke wheels, which are heavier and have a wider rim (14"X5.5" to 6" versus 14"X4.5" on the stock 60 spoke wheel), and with a 185/70-14 tire on it - the largest that fits a stock MGB without modification - the extra inch helps. 

Wires look great, but require a lot of maintenance.  They need to be constantly cleaned and occasionally trued, like a bicycle wheel.  Chrome wires more so because if they rust, there's no painting them.

I hope this helps you.  Welcome to the club.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

Dick Steinkamp

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
Re: 1971 Carpet Color (and other questions)...newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
Thanks for the help and advice, Art.

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog