AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: 1974 B GT CB No Power To Starter Relay/Starter  (Read 3621 times)

sebring222

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
1974 B GT CB No Power To Starter Relay/Starter
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
Group-
My 74 GT was running just fine, stopped at the office and on re-start attempt no starter relay click or starter engagement. Car push starts just fine. Fuel pump and all accessories work fine.
Checked for continuity at each connection on the ignition switch and all ok including R/W wire with 12 volts in start position. Jumped R/W wire with Y/K wire at seat belt relay. No difference.
Cleaned all fuse connections. Installed new starter relay. Nothing. The car went from being just fine to starter non-function in 30 seconds. I'm running out of ideas....help!

Jim D

amgba

• American MGB Association
  • AMGBA Club Administrator
Re: 1974 B GT CB No Power To Starter Relay/Starter
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »
I would try a new battery or a freshly charged battery.  This has made the difference in similar situations with other MGBs.
Frank
American MGB Association
email: info@mgclub.org
phone/text: 773-769-7084

North America's oldest and largest club for all MGBs, MGB-GTs & Midgets.  A nonprofit organization founded in 1975 and offers color magazines, emagazines, technical advice, member recommendations on service shops, registration of your MG, a tradition of service & FREE member classified ads that appear in the magazine & on the website.

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: 1974 B GT CB No Power To Starter Relay/Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »
Hi Jim,

Did you jump the contacts on the starter solenoid itself?  If you have power up to the solenoid and nothing works, either power to the solenoid is not getting past the ignition switch or the solenoid itself has failed.

Along that line of thinking, in checking the ignition switch, did you check to make sure that on the back of the mechanical switch (left side of the steering column inside the covers) that all rivets and tabs that hold the plastic rear plate and wire contacts are tight and not broken?  This is an especially overlooked potential source of this problem.

I hope that helps you.  Post-up with what you find and we'll try to help you further.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog