AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Shaky mirror  (Read 5102 times)

mbenders

• Message Board Member not current AMGBA Club Member
Shaky mirror
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:10:56 PM »
The glass in the mirror on the driver's door does not fit tightly and vibrates.  What is the best way to stop it from doing this?  I have a couple of ideas, but would rather benefit from the experience of someone who has dealt successfully with this problem before.  Learning from my own mistakes would be OK, but learning from others is better!

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Membership Number (if known): 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Shaky mirror
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »
Not really a whole lot that can be done.  Most machanical attempts to tight the mirror glass will damage or break it.

Best thing I can think of is to get one of those 2-part epoxy kits or clear silicon in a syringe type applicator.

Remove the mirror assembly and lay it flat, glass up (you can support the chrome frame from beneath high enough with wood or plastic to allow it to be flat and you to work on it).

With the finest hole you can make,try to get the epoxy or silicon to get around the edge of the glass into the frame and allow to dry.  The epoxy might work better on this as it flows more freely befoe it hardens.  it depends on how loose your mirror is and the amount of space around it.

You can clean the excess material off with a razor or scraper after it sets.  That should secure the mirror  to the frame like a geasket and stop the rattle.  I've had success with this on other than MG (or any car) applications, but it should work.

I hope that helps you.  Good luck.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog