AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog
Subscribe in a reader

Join or renew today and receive a free t-shirt or tech CD, see details in the join the club section at www.mgclub.org!

Author Topic: Removing center console  (Read 6439 times)

captp

• Message Board Member but not an AMGBA Club Member
Removing center console
« on: December 31, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
I have a 73 w/ a center console....I see pictures of older cars without the center console....the silver ring is mounted the carpet......I like that look better...can I just take the console out and screw the ring to the tunnel? Or is there more involved?

Thanks

Art

• chfwrench
  • AMGBA Club Tech Staff
  • Memberhsip Number (if known):: 91-10014
  • MG information: '73 red B roadster
Re: Removing center console
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:28:04 AM »
The shift console can be removed easily and allow the boot and chrome ring to sit on it's spacer (an about 3/8" thick wood ring the same shape as the chrome one) directly on the carpet.  The issues might face would be that the boot (gaiter) may have to be trimmed to be neater without the console sitting on it to hide the raw ends, that there is an unfinished edge of the radio console at the floor (where it fits to the shift console/armrest assembly) and if the carpet was installed cut properly to be finished with just the chrome ring.

The bottom of the gaiter can be trimmed or wrapped around the spacer that sits beneath the chrome retainer to give it a nice finish. I would suggest you fit the spacer between the carpet and metal floor for the best effect.

The edge of the console may be OK to you as is, but you might have to find some edge or other fabrication to make it look "factory finished".

Because the carpet was intended to be under the console, the hole may have been too large or ragged for the ring and shift boot alone to cover completely and neatly.  Also, there's the issues of color difference from sun fading (the area under the console might be darker) and damage done to the carpet by the console (crushed fibers that will not recover their original shape).  The carpet section may have to be replaced to get the look right.

As said at the start, removing the console is easy, so I would suggest you do that and examine the carpet condition underneath to decide if the effort is really worth it.

Hope that helps you.

Art
Art Isaacs
AMGBA Tech Staff
chfwrench@aol.com

AMGBA website home page or AMGBA Photo Gallery or AMGBA Club Blog