I bought this MGB in October 2019. I was not in the market for an MGB, so I knew nothing about them. That is not my style for buying. I normally do a great deal of research.
The gentleman selling the car was in very poor health. He had the car partially restored, and my main concern was rust. He said there was none. I have since found a small amount in the floor pans, and repaired that. I didn’t know much about Lucas electric systems when we bought it, but I have learned a lot in the last year. He had the engine rebuilt with 38K original miles and new paint and did some front suspension work. He pulled the engine to rebuild, but did not redo anything else under hood. The car was white and he repainted red, so engine bay and rear trunk are still white.
Some of my projects in the last year include:
1. Got original radio working and replaced the antenna. (While we don’t listen to it (use iPhone with Bluetooth to a portable BOSE speaker), it is nice that it works.
2. Replaced courtesy light and door switches.
3. Replaced cigar lighter.
4. Replaced several gauges.
5. Replaced turn signal and High Beam headlight dimmer.
6. Installed relays for high beams, low beams, electric fan, all running tail lights, running lights, horn.
1. Rebuilt rear suspension (new shocks, leaf springs, bushings).
2. Replaced exhaust hanger
3. Pulled heater and rebuilt and repainted it. I haven’t reinstalled it, but as hard as it was to remove, I read that it is harder to install.
1. Sealed floor pans.
2. New carpeting.
3. New door cards and front and rear panels
4. New leather cover for steering wheel.
5. New wind blocker
Projects in the future:
1. Repaint engine bay.
2. Repair vinyl seats.
3. Install a new front anti-sway bar.
4. Rebuild the Weber Carburetor that came on the car. (I think jets are incorrect).
5. Refurbish master cylinder.
6. Reinstall heater.